These bronze plaques were probably from on the Victorian fountain in Market Square. Mr Robert Noel from the College of Arms has identified them for the Trustees. The shields on the right are the Coat of Arms of Cambridge University (top) and Cambridge Town (bottom).
The others may represent benefactors. The plaque at the top left is the shield for the Fitzwilliam – Wentworth family. The red lozenges from the Fitzwilliam family and chevron with leopards from Watson Wentworth side. The two families were united in marriage in 1744.The other (bottom left) shield attribution is complex but may represent a variation of the Perne family crest.
The plaques were donated by the Trustees in 2017 to the Museum of Cambridge.